Train in Emmaus

Train in Emmaus
Life is moving like a . . .

Monday, August 23, 2010

Fides quaerens intellectum

God does not speak, at least not to me. I do not hear a voice or received messages from some Supreme Being telling me to ring him, or her, up. But that does not mean that God and I do not communicate.

I was ordained a Deacon 2 ½ years ago and I freely admitted that I did not claim that God had spoken to me, calling me by name. There was no Damascan Road experience for me.

So how do I know that I am following God’s plan. Well quite honestly, I don’t know. But this phrase really needs to be dissected. I don’t, but I am part of a faith community that helps me to know. It is communal work to discern what God is telling me to do.

It is no great process either. We gather for the weekly Eucharist, we worship together listening to the Word and the preacher’s meditation on the Text, we gather for coffee and pastries afterwards. We talk about our lives, what is going on in the world major and minor from natural disasters to children and grandchildren returning to school. All of this allows us to talk about God as if God were in the room with us – which is the case.

So what is God telling me? Well you tell me.

1 comment:

  1. Good words, good thoughts & challenges here. You are so blessed to be part of a wonderful, thoughtful, Spirit filled parish! Of course I couldn't begin to really know or say what God is saying... at least not on a kind of certain or intellectual level. But my instinct says, the center of me says, that God is telling you, with much love, "well done, good and faithful servant!"

    ReplyDelete